This year I read 117 books. My goal was 125, which I was just shy of reaching, but I'm incredibly happy with reading 117 books this year. For the most part I enjoyed the books I read this year, at least in some shape or form, although I did read a few books that weren't to my liking. I think I only had one book that I didn't finish - and won't ever finish, it was just that bad - I rarely have a book I don't finish, but this is an exception to that rule. Here's a list of all the books I've read this year.
103) The Seamstress - Frances De Pontes Peebles
104) Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man - James Joyce
Jules' Top 10 Books of 2011
In no particular order here are ten of my favourite books I read this year.
Honourable Mention to: Tipperary by Frank Delaney
I highly recommend all the above the books, they were all well written, engaging stories and had be captivated from beginning to end. Seven of the authors were new to me, and four of the authors are Canadian. All are worth adding to your TBR lists.
Type and Format
Books Read: 117
Short Story Collections: 7
Pages Read: 29, 245 + 5,472 ( Page numbers from Ebook equivalents = 34, 717 Pages read
Where they Came From
Library Books: 21
Review Books: 7
New to Me Authors: 79
Women Writers: 73
Other Book Stats
1001 Books: 18
Speculative Fiction: 34
Books that Followed Me Home: A LOT! They all followed me home! I swear! Tonks the cat ate the final number. So it can't be shown......
Ratings Break Down
I like looking at this, sometimes I feel I'm not critical enough, but looking at the breakdowns, I think I'm doing well in that department.
0 - 3.75 (out of 10) - 3 Books
4 - 5.75 (out of 10) - 17 Books
6 - 7.75 (out of 10) - 53 Books
8 - 9.5 (out of 10) - 37 Books
9.75+ (out of 10) - 7 Books
This year I participated in 21 Challenges, and completed 12 of them, 9 I failed. Oddly enough, even though I completed more challenges last year (13), I feel I accomplished more this year than I have in previous years. This year I cut back in challenges and only participated in 21. Two of them carry over into 2012. One of which I already completed, the other I stepped down from, so I'm not scrambelling to finish it.
1) NaJuReMoNoMo - 8 Books Read
2) Canadian Reading Challenge IV - 22/13
3) New Author's Challenge - 25 Books Read
4) Historical Fiction Challenge - 10/10 Books Read
5) Futeristic/Sci-Fi Challenge - 8/8 Books Read
6) 100+ Reading Challenge - 100/100 Books Read
7) Ireland Reading Challenge - 6/6 Books Read
8) 1001 Books to Read Before You Die Challenge - 16/16
9) A - Z Challenge - 52/52 Books Read
10) Mental Illness Advocacy Challenge - 12/12 Books Read
11) Fantasy Reading Challenge - 12/12 Books Read
12) Canadian Reading Challenge - 21/13 Books Read**
**The twelfth challenge I finished was the Canadian Reading Challenge V, where I read 21/13 Books. But the challenge officially finishes on July 1, 2012. So I'll give you my final numbers at the end of the year.
Did Not Finish Challenges
1) Spring Reading Thing - 14/16 Books Read - 88% Complete
2) 2011 Countdown Challenge - 60/66 Books Read - 91% Complete
3) Fall Reading Thing - 10/14 Books Read - 71% Complete
4) Book Bucket Reading List - 18/26 Books Read - 70% Complete
5) Chunckster Challenge - 5/8 Books Read - 62% Complete
6) 11 in 11 - 102/121 Books Read - 84% Complete
7) Global Reading Challenge - 19/21 Books Read - 90% Complete
8) Take a Chance 3 Challenge - 9/10 Books Read - 90% Complete
9) War Through the Generations - Civil War - 4/5 Books Read - 80% Complete
Countries Visited 28:
Antarctica/ Afghanistan / Austria/Hungary / Brazil/ Canada / China / Congo / England / France / Greece/Ireland and Northern Ireland / India/Italy / Jamaica/Mexico /New Zealand/ Nigeria / Pakistan/ Papua New Guinea/ Portugal /Russia/ Scotland / Trinidad and Tobago/ Ukraine / USA/ Yugoslavia
There was my 2011 in reading. I'm not sure of what goals I want to accomplish this year, I think I'm going to focus on reading and finding some new books for the challenges I'm participating in. I'm not in as many this year, which is fine, I like them, but the ones I selected will let me read some great books. I'm aiming for 125 books this year.
I hope to do a few more bookish event, and as always I'll be participating in the Fall Read-a-thon. I'll be enjoying both print and ebooks- I really have turned to the dark side. But overall I'm just going to focus on reading and reviewing!