For 2010 I read 76 Books all together, which isn't bad. I was hopping for a lot more, but I'm happy with that. I've read some really great books this year, and some not so good books, and some really, really bad books. Some books that had a lot of hyper were not so great, and not just that they were a let down after all that hype, but they weren't even close to what the "hype" was saying. And then there were some I liked. Some were lesser knows, and others were "why hadn't I read this until now?" Either way, it was a good reading year. Hopefully next year will be better.
1) Julie & Julia - Julie Powel - 6/10
6) The Heretic Queen - Michelle Moran - 8/10
7) The Professor - Charlotte Brontë - 6.75/10
8) The Lieutenant - Kate Grenville - 5/10
11) Armadale - Wilkie Collins - 8/10
3) Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad - 7.5/10
15) The Unit - Ninni Holmqvist - 7.5/10
16) Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins - 9/10
18) Quartet in Autumn - Barbara Pym - 5/10
21) The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien - 8.5/10
22) The Outsider - Albert Camus - 6/10
25) The Piano Tuner - Daniel Mason - 8.5/10
26) The Cellist of Sarajevo - Steven Galloway - 10/10
28) Life of Pi - Yann Martel - 7.75/10
29) The Postmistress - Sarah Blake - 9/10
30) A Thread of Sky - Deanna Fei - 8.5/10
32) Surfacing - Margaret Atwood - 7.5/10
34) The Xibalba Murders - Lyn Hamilton - 3/10
36) War on the Margins - Libby Cone - 9/10
37) Yellowknife - Steven Zipp - 8.5/10
40) Mistress of Rome - Kate Quinn - 6.5/10
45) No Great Mischief - Alistair MacLeod - 8/10
48) The Bookshop - Penelope Fitzgerald - 7/10
51) The Passage - Justin Cronin - 6/10
52) Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins - 8.75/10
53) Bitten - Kelly Armstrong - 8/10
54) The Book of Human Skin - Michelle Lovric - 8/10
56) Coastliners - Joanne Harris - 5/10
57) The Color Purple - Alice Walker - 9/10
58) The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway - 7.5/10
60) Hearts at Stake - Alyxandra Harvey - 7/10
62) Ireland - Frank Delaney - 9.75/10
64) The Hours - Michael Cunningham - 8.5/10
65) Hour Before Dawn - Sarah MacDonald - 4.5/10
66) The Body in the Library - Agatha Christie - 5.5/10
67) Night Runner - Max Turner 7.5/10
68) Water for Elephants - Sarah Gruen - 9/10
69) Evermore - Alyson Noël - 5.75/10
73) Day After Night - Anita Diamant - 9.25/10
Jules' Top Ten Books of the Year
1) The Cellist of Sarajevo - Steven Galloway - 10/10
2) Ireland - Frank Delaney - 9.75/10
3) The Outlander - Gil Adamson - 9.5/10
4) The Year of the Flood - Margaret Atwood - 9.5/10
5) The Road - Cormac McCarthy 9.5/10
6) Day After Night - Anita Diamant - 9.25/10
7) The Postmistress - Sarah Blake - 9/10
8) The Guernsey and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Anne Shaffer and Annie Barrows- 9/10
9) War on the Margins - Libby Cone - 9/10
10) The Color Purple - Alice Walker - 9/10
Other Noteworthy Books - They may have not reached my top ten, but here is a list of ten books, I really enjoyed this year. I highly recommend these ones.
1) The Piano Tuner - Daniel Mason - 8.5/10
2) The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien - 8.5/10
3) Miss Chopsticks - Xinran - 8.5/10
4) A Thread of Sky - Deanna Fei - 8.5/10
5) Yellowknife - Steven Zipp - 8.5/10
6) No Great Mischief - Alistair MacLeod - 8/10
7) Secret Daughter : A Novel - Shipli Somaya Gowda - 9/10
8) City of Thieves - David Benioff - 8.5/10
9) Water for Elephants - Sarah Gruen - 9/10
10) The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa - 8/10
The Not So Great Books. Ugh. - Even though some ratings are fairly good, these books you may want to stay clear of.
1) The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown - 2/10
2) The Xibalba Murders - Lyn Hamilton - 3/10
3) Lace Reader - Brunonia Barry - 4.5/10
4) Hour Before Dawn - Sarah MacDonald - 4.5/10
5) Coastliners - Joanne Harris - 5/10
6) Quartet in Autumn - Barbara Pym - 5/10
7) The Sixth Surrender - Hana Samek Norton 5/10
8) The Body in the Library - Agatha Christie - 5.5/10
9) Evermore - Alyson Noël - 5.75/10
10) The Passage - Justin Cronin - 6/10
So there you have it, my list of the best, the worst, and some honourable mentions.
Oh.... I was over my head. I signed up for far to many challenges, and failed er.... didn't finish most of them. But I had fun attempting them, and that's what counts. This year I attempted at 41 challenges (yes you read that correctly). I completed 13 of those.
1) NaJuReMoNoMo - Completed January 31, 2010. Read 10 Books.
2) New Authors Challenge - Completed February 20, 2010. Read 15/15 Books
3) Historical Reading Challenge - Completed April 3, 2010. Read 6/6 Books.
4) Wish I Read That Challenge - April 18, 2010. 12/12 Books Read.
5) 1st in a Series - Completed on May 7, 2010. Read 3/3 Books
6) Typically British Challenge - Completed May 15, 2010. Read 6/6 Books.
7) What's in a Name? Challenge - Completed June 21, 2010. Read 6/6 Books
8) Chunckster Challenge - Completed on October 9, 2010. Read 6/6 Books
9) The Seconds Challenge - Completed on October 10, 2010. Read 6/6 Books.
10) Global Reading Challenge - Completed on October 22, 2010. Read 12/12 Books
11) Fantasy Reading Challenge - Completed on October 24, 2010. Read 6/6 Books.
12) Marple Poirit and Holmes Challenge - Completed on November 27, 2010. Read 6/6 Books.
13) Read 'n' Review Challenge - Completed on December 31, 2010. Read and Review all 76 books of 2010. I read.
Not bad, but not what I had planned. I'm not listing the ones I didn't finish. This post is already becoming one of the longest. I do have to say one of my favourite challenges is the A - Z Challenge. I love trying to find titles and authors for Q and X (I actually have two books, by two different authors who has their last name beginning with X!) Another favourite challenge of mine is the 2010 Countdown Challenge. I didn't finish that one either, but it is fun to see what's out there. Finally the Canadian Reading Challenge. I love finding new authors and stories, and going back to authors I love.
Two challenges are carrying over until 2011. The IV Canadian Reading Challenge and the 2011 Countdown Challenge. There isn't an official challenge for the 2011 one, but I found a blogger who is doing it on their own, and I decided to jump in too.
Books that Followed me Home
Now, not all of these books were purchased. Some were gifts or review books. Some were also used books, so they were cheap. Dirt cheap! So don't judge me! If I calculated correctly, 236 books were added to my collection. I did buy that wonderful collection of 51 books this year. And I estimated I had about 15 of the titles before hand. Not sure exactly on that number though. But yes, a lot of books came home with me. They followed me home I swear! Even the ones I ordered on the Internet! I was going to list them all..... but now I', not to sure. If you go the the LibraryThing link on my side bar, you can see my library.That may be a better plan. Sad thing is, I want more books! MORE! Although, my book shelves probably disagree with me.
And there is my year end wrap up!